Leipzig Open Data Hackathon
Leipzig Open Data Hackathon 2023
The “Leipzig Open Data Hackathon” will take place this year, true to the motto “Free data!”. Participants will develop innovative ideas to bring urban data to the public faster and more effectively. We invite interested citizens, students, IT enthusiasts and open data enthusiasts to make the existing offering of Leipzig Open-Data-Portals even better with their own ideas and suggestions. For each topic, there will be a prize of €700 (1st place), €500 (2nd place) and €250 (3rd place) for the respective winning teams.
- Artificial intelligence for urban development: Numerous datasets are already publicly available on a wide range of topics concerning the city of Leipzig including education, transportation and the economy. The goal is to analyze this data using algorithms (e.g. clustering or classification) so that exciting insights can be gained for the future development of the city of Leipzig.
- Street quiz: Which Leipzig streets have been named after famous personalities? Which tree species of the riverside forest in Leipzig (Leipziger Auwald) have lent their names to city streets? The open dataset “Straßennamensverzeichnis mit Erläuterungen” contains information on the names of more than 3,000 named streets and squares in the city of Leipzig. This dataset should be prepared in such a way that information contained in it can be made more readily usable, e.g. for use in a quiz on Leipzig street names.
- Improving the Open Data Portal: The Open Data Portal Leipzig is powered by the open source software CKAN. Additional functionalities, such as dataset recommendations or suggested search terms, are realized with the help of Python plug-ins. The goal of the project is to develop a CKAN plugin that makes the Open-Data-Portal easier to use.
- Open topic: If desired, contributions around the topic “Free data!” can be submitted. Different approaches and topics are welcome. If an open topic is chosen, we ask for a short summary of the project (approx. 150 words) upon registration.
Registration and procedure
Individuals or groups can work on the topics autonomously. Registration for the Leipzig Open Data Hackathon 2023 is open from now on and until the end of April 2023 via opendata[at]leipzig.de. Please provide name(s), email address(es) and the chosen topic when registering. The results will be presented at Data Week 2023 (poster & talk) and are subsequently published under an open source license on Open CoDE.
- Registration: 01.02.2023-30.04.2023
- Poster submission deadline: 11.06.2023
- Presentation & Award Ceremony Data Week: 27.06.2023.
For more information, please contact the Amt für Statistik und Wahlen Leipzig. Any inquiries can be directed to opendata[at]leipzig.de.